As usual . . . sorry for the bad photos . . . I really need a camera or a new phone with a better camera. Still, you get the idea. I’m always wishing I had pictures of projects once they are long gone. I figure this is as good place as any to stash pics.

I put the first one over my bedroom door and have no idea what I’ll do with the other one or any of the rest for that matter. I have four more in the works . . . templates ready . . . boards cut, stained and ready to paint. I’ll be posting more pictures when I have a couple more done.

I’m so happy with these and the street numbers, I can’t wait to get to work on the driftwood fairy gardens. If they come out half a good as these projects, I’ll be thrilled. I guess I better find some money for the things I need, but can’t scavenge off the beach.

It’s so great to have an excuse to beach walk instead of paint doors. Yeah, yeah . . . I still have doors to paint black but the nice thing about being a beach bum is that I feel at liberty to do what I want when I want. The doors will get done . . . Hakuna Matata.

Advertisements

So sad. I’ve had my first fatality in the garden. It seems, although, calla lilies don’t experience a whole lot of problems, there is a deadly bacteria which causes a kind of rot at the base of the plant. It happens to be highly infections for all the lilies, iris and daffodils . . . basically, my whole garden. There is little you can do. You have to remove the infected plant AND surrounding soil. You can try washing the roots and replant in isolation, but mine was too far gone.  Everything was doing so well.

I almost cried! Now, there is a big hole where one of the yellow calla lilies was. Very, very sad. I’m hopeful the other yellow and the pink calla lilies are not infected. I’ll be checking them daily and will attempt the ‘wash and replant’ if any of the other plants show signs of the bacteria. I almost did it anyway, but wiser heads prevailed. Seems the infection gets a start in damaged parts of the plant. I’m pretty sure I could easily cause unintended damage if I tried it.

I’m also watching my tree very carefully. It is supposed to have its leaves turn red in the fall. Mine are turning red and it is only just July. None of the leaves have dropped, so I’m holding my breath. It’s possible that its point of origin was much warmer than here and the tree is just confused. It may simply think it is autumn. I’m not sure what that means long term, but I have my fingers crossed all will be well in the end.

There is one bright spot in my plant world. The orchid I got last year has bloomed again! This is a first for me. In the past, I’d water any orchid I was gifted long after the flowers died and nothing ever happened. I will take this as a good sign for my “green” endeavors.

orchid.jpg

 

bettertogether.jpg

TaDa! The new statement piece for the bedroom is done and hung. I don’t often (read ever) write about my wonderful life partner . . . privacy and all that. It doesn’t mean I don’t total love and completely adore my better half; ergo, this is the plaque I just finished and hung over our bed.

Making it was totally fun, so I can’t wait to get to work on the additional 15 feet of decorator signs I can make now. All I have to do is decide what I want them to say. Obviously, the fewer letters, the better. It’s not hard, but labor-intensive, delicate work.

I also have the driftwood “fairy gardens” to get working on. I will have to put out a little cash for those. I need air plants and buying them is the only way I have of getting them. I’ve gathered half a dozen pieces of driftwood that should work out perfectly for those.

I had thought to sell some of the driftwood and plague projects, but I’m thinking maybe I’ll giving them as gifts instead. I’d never get the cost of my labor out of them. Then again, I do it because I enjoy it, so maybe a couple will go to one of the local tourist traps to buy more supplies.

Well, my baby is off to a “Dead” retrospective with an old friend from ‘Frisco. I’m more of a punk and metal fan myself, so I’m sitting this one out. It gives me the whole weekend to play at my work bench and perhaps paint my toes pink.

 

 

house numbers.jpg

Yes, I have tons of things to finish . . . black door painting, white trim painting (inside and out), gardening, driftwood gathering, yada yada yada. I finished clearing the big lily bed bordering the front of the house earlier this week.  Yesterday was driftwood, rock and shell hauling. I figured I deserved a break today. I’ve had the perfect piece of driftwood for street numbers lying around for months, so . . .

It will hang on the fence by the gate out front as soon as the paint and glue has dried for a day. It may not exactly be art in the strictest sense, but now visitors can find the house without me walking out to the street.

I’ve started the first of my decorator signs too. I’m using the same process as the bedroom furniture. This one is for the bedroom and will say . . . maybe I’ll just post a pic when it’s done. So, I best get back to my “break.” I want to finish the sign and re-pot a couple of plants before dinner. (Grin)

(To the sharp-eyed among you, yipe that is a work bench in my garage. The long, boring house sitting gig had to have a payoff for the torture I endured.)

 

 

 

 

 

speak out

Just enter your email address and some computer somewhere will send you an e-mail when there's a new post.

June 2019
M T W T F S S
« Jul    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Archives

Advertisements